Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ravelry!

I finally got my invitation to ravelry. I think it's such a cool concept, and I'm excited to see how it plays out in reality. Will it be fun to use, or tedious? I heard one of my online buddies mention that she doesn't update it much because it's tedious or something along those lines. We shall see. I am the type of person who really enjoys making lists. I rarely do everything, or even some of what I write down on lists. But it is fun to think in list form. Like, I need to do 1, 2, and 3, and I need to buy 1, 2, and 3. Reminds me that recently I noticed that Target is selling some interesting organization tools for the home, such as books to write down all your projects, as well as a section of "delegated tasks" papers that have carbon copies. I guess the idea is that you can keep track of things you asked someone to do. Sounds like a fancy version of the infamous Honey-do list. I didn't buy the to-do list, but it was cool because it had 2 columns. One side for things to buy, the other side for things to do. I was thinking, "This is so great. Because everyone has things to buy and things to do." That kinda spells out the law of physical life. Must get things. Must do things. On and on until you die. I'm not saying it's a good thing but it seems to me that the To-Do list was invented the day after The Fall. So where am I going with this? Is Ravelry just an electronic To-Do list for knitters/crocheters?

I can say that I have already found ravelry to be totally intimidating. When I searched crochet projects just to see what other people were doing, I saw the most gorgeous creations. I realized that the results are prioritized based on some sort of voting system, so that the first pages of results are the things that more people liked and favorably rated. Therefore, you are only seeing the cream of the crop. It is neat though. Just intimidating if you aren't as highly skilled or have awesome yarn.

No comments: