Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Merry-Go-Round at Griffith Park, California

Today, I went with my parents and my daughter to the Griffith park Merry-Go-Round. It was amazing. I didn't expect to be so blown away by the experience of visiting a carousel. I believe that what made a charming carousel an over-the-top grand experience was the music from the mechanical organ. It appeared to be music from an authentic organ that had a bass drum incorporated somehow in to the mechanical playing. The music was extremely loud but enjoyable because it sounded so good. It's free to go hang out nearby the carousel but it costs $2 to ride it. I think I will plan to have a picnic near the carousel on the grass because then you can enjoy the music for free. It was Saturday at about 2:30 p.m. and it was not overly crowded which was nice. I don't normally do things like this because I don't like crowds and I tend to be a hermit. But I am trying to get out more often for the sake of my daughter. She was so happy to ride that thing. I took a lot of film on my mini-DV recorder, as well as dozens of digital pictures. I will have to update here soon with pictures. I also took a lot of pictures of the unusual and fantastical scrollwork, mythical creatures, paintings, mirrors, and the organ. Next time I go, I want to try to get more pictures of the different horses because some of them had unusual features. There was a sign on the carousel gate that explained how Walt Disney used to take his daughter to the carousel and he loved it so much, he got his idea to start a children's amusement park (a.k.a. Disneyland). The carousel at Disneyland in Anaheim california is inspired by the one in Griffith park because he found an old time carousel with all horses which he restored for Disneyland. There is nothing nicer than an old carousel, I can tell you!

Tonight, I am watching some old "Outer Limits" episodes and resting up from a tiring day. I like old t.v. shows, and I bought these sets of the outer limits because they were 50% off at amazon. They are pretty weird. A bit different than the twilight zone. The outer limits seemed to be more fixated on space and aliens, as well as government plots!

No comments: