Thursday, January 31, 2008

still sick; being a sick mom of a sick kid; discriminated against

Now my daughter has my cold, and I'm still feeling pretty bad. So this is a tough situation. I guess moms have to deal with this all the time. But it still seems to me to be an outrageous indignity. How can a person be Florence Nightingale when they feel like Phyllis Diller? I need a shower but I can't seem to make myself do it. I feel so chilly even though I'm running the heater. I wonder if that means I have a flu? I don't think I have a fever but I might have a low grade one. Need to find the thermometer. Hah. I must be delirious because I just noticed that the word "mom" is in thermometer.

You know you are sick when you don't feel like drinking good coffee! I think it's weird how kids don't get as sick as their parents do from the same cold or flu. My daughter is getting on my nerves with wanting to play. But her nose is running and she woke up a few times last night crying, so I know she's sick.

So I have officially been discriminated against. I was inquiring about renting a duplex and I was told that the manager doesn't rent to people who have kids. According to the Fair Housing Act in California, it's totally illegal to discriminate against people with kids. I was thinking of reporting the landlord but it's a tricky situation because I didn't technically hear that from him. I heard it from the current tenant who is trying to arrange for someone to take over his lease because he wants to leave early. I can't seem to get him to put me in touch with the landlord unless I make a big deal about it. He's sort of, how do you say, "gently" discouraging me from looking to rent the place by saying how small the place is, and how the manager doesn't rent to people with kids. My husband mentioned to him that it's unlawful to say that. But I think the vibe I am getting is that this guy is desperate to not have to pay rent next month, so he is looking for someone who could move in quickly (and who the landlord would approve of). I guess that what i learned is: I know what it feels like to be discriminated against and denied some necessary service.

No comments: