Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Color issues, cotton yarns, and mason*dixon knitting, language delays

I always seem to have issues with color. Specifically, I can't seem to figure out what colors I like, and whenever I want to make something, I never seem to have the right color for that particular item in my stash. I also am a flagrant cheapskate when it comes to yarn. I am seriously considering giving up cheap yarns. I might just gather up all my current (cheap) stash and either donate it or throw it away. Then I would commit myself to buying only nice yarn, and only for specific projects. That way, I would not have a constant problem with storing all the yarn. My husband would be happier. I would be happier (with prettier yarn and prettier results). The question is: Can I content myself with having less yarn? And buying yarn less frequently too. Because I couldn't buy nice yarn at the local craft stores. I would have to order it online or visit one of the smaller snooty yarn stores. And my husband would get all stressed out if he saw how much the "nice" yarn costs. I guess I would have to content myself with buying yarn a few times a year via web sites such as knitpicks. But this is an interesting plan. I feel that it would spur me forward to a higher level of knitting, where I would be more thoughtful about what I was making and would learn some new techniques. It's just too easy, when using cheap yarn, to knit how I call, "mindless knitting". I like mindless knitting for the soothing effects. But I don't like having all these ugly projects (that I end up shoving in a drawer) and trashbags full of cheap yarn.

About color: I noticed today that I really like teal. And that's odd because I always strongly disliked teal. I was trying to remember why I dislike teal (maybe it reminds me of the 80's?) But I think it has some merit as a good strong color in the blue family without being as boring as most blue shades.

Last night, I bought the book "Mason*Dixon Knitting". I really like it, although in some ways it seems like an expensive book with not enough patterns or useful content. There is a lot of chit chat in it. But the patterns are kinda interesting. It makes me want to try something new, such as mitered squares or knitting some windowshades or pillows. I haven't made things like that. So for me, it's a good book to encourage me to move forward. For some people, I imagine the book is too basic and easy because they have already done all that stuff.

I read some of the comments on the book's amazon page, and it seems like people really like the book. You can knit warsh rags with it, but you can also make the baby kimono and a baby bib. I admit it: I plan to use my stash of sugar and cream to make the warshrags! But now I have lost my innocence with the knowledge that there is actually a difference between Sugar 'n Cream (by Lily) and Peaches and Creme (by Elmore-Pisgah). I'll never be the same again. Now I have to decide whether to drive to Pasadena to the only yarn store in my area that carries Peaches and Creme. Or I must resolve to order it online. Or I will cave in to convenience and satisfy myself with a slightly less soft Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn. Why did I have to learn of this?

Oh well. I think it would not matter what to use when making a warshrag or baby bib. And maybe I could buy nicer worsted weight cotton for the baby kimono because that's going to be worn against the skin.

Recently I learned that my daughter is having some language delays. She's 2 years old and is not asking for things such as "want cookie" (or whatever...that's what the pediatrician said when explaining the issue to me). So now she has to go to a speech pathologist just to make sure there's nothing wrong. But anyhow, I mention it because I have just learned that I have to spend less time knitting and crocheting and more time teaching and interacting with my daughter. I have enjoyed, during the past few months, taking some time out just for me. My daughter is pretty content to play with her toys for periods of time, as she has become an older baby/toddler. So I have enjoyed having a little time for myself. But I am going to have to be strong and just steal shorter periods of times to knit/crochet a little during the day. When my daughter naps or goes to bed, I can get my knit on. But it's a little frustrating because I received so many inspiring books for Christmas and I totally want to crochet and knit my brains out. Also, my brother and his wife are expecting their first child and I have some really cool plans for that. But I will have to just plan my time well and work an hour or two a day in the evenings when my daughter is asleep.

Such is life. I love my daughter and if she needs to get some extra encouragement during this time, then I will do it happilly. I'm planning to get her out to play with other little kids more, and also to do some crafts and more reading time at home. I want to make home-made playdough soon. My friend has a good recipe for it. I'm going to use Wilton cake colors (gel dye) to color it because I hear you can get some wonderful colors of playdough that way.

No comments: