Monday, September 15, 2008

starting your own small business

I've been wanting to start my own small business for a long time. But I am a little scared because I don't want to have to keep track of money and stuff like that. I guess I'd rather just be a hippy about it, and sell things for cash and just pocket the money. But I need to be legal and if I am making over a certain amount of money, I know I have to declare it for tax reasons. So I guess I'm going to keep it in prayer and just start keeping my eyes peeled for the information about how to have a small business out of the home. I want to sell my hand made items, whether that be crochet, knit, soap, greeting cards, children's toys, etc. I guess I would also like to sell my cake decorations, such as my royal icing flowers (and hopefully I will teach myself to make gumpaste flowers too!)

I have a couple of ideas for a name. I think that to get started, I need a storefront type website with pay pal, and also I need to get a rubber stamp made with my store's name and/or logo. Then I might like to have a P.O. box too.

I wonder what I would need to do to get started? Would I be able to do this small scale at first without any insurance or would I have to get insurance? I met a girl at a Wilton cake class who had a cookie business and she bought insurance for like $300 a year. It's just a protective measure in case someone sues you.

No comments: