Friday, March 27, 2009

Oh happy day

Today, I downloaded three free ebooks from Hillbilly Housewife. I highly recommend them because they are free and they are actually quite interesting. I'm grateful that she puts out so much free content. Between her Web site, the blog, and the free ebooks...and now there is going to be a Hillbilly Housewife club....well, it's quite a lot of free information. I'm guessing that this is her time to shine.

People are becoming interested in frugality as never before. I have seen the cutest posts on the Weight Watchers forums. Young married women are posting about their adventures in trying to shop and cook frugal. One young woman said that something weird happened when she cooked chicken stock from scratch. She put it in the fridge overnight and thought that she could lift the fat off the top in the morning. But she said the fat is "all mixed in" because the stock turned in to a solid block. I explained to her that the jelly-like substance is actually gelatin from the bones, not fat. Then she replied that she was able to see the difference between the thin layer of fat on top and the stock. That tickled me because I remember being mystified by a lot of things when I was first learning to cook and do things from scratch.

I have been feeling strongly compelled to learn as much about frugality and saving money as possible. It started a year or 2 ago. I'm not sure what started this feeling but maybe it was a sense that the country was taking a downward turn from prosperity and unchecked growth to our current mess.

I also have had a desire for a really long time to write a Christian cookbook. I hesitate to share the name that I have daydreamed about because I don't want to ruin it. But it would be about fellowship, sharing food with others, frugal cooking, etc. I think we should be called as Christians to be hospitible, even if we don't have a lot of money. I love the idea of sharing a meal with someone else in a spirit of humility and love of God.

By the way, if you have a strong stomach and can handle subject matter that is frankly disgusting and reprehensible, read this article by a Catholic theologian called "Roman Cruelty, Christian Purity". I didn't realize that the common culture at the time of the early Christians was quite so vile and immoral. I should have known. But the article kind of paints the full picture of what was going on. Sick beyond belief. Praise God's mercy that he brought the way of salvation to such a disgusting people.

No comments: